DEPARTMENT OF PETROLEUM ENGINEERING
Dr. John M. Williams
Ruwais Building, Room 3106
Office: +971 2 607 5387
Fax: +971 2 607 5200
||Technology Management Postgraduate Certificate, Open University, UK (1992-2005)
||Chemistry, University of Exeter, U.K. (1974–1979)
||Chemistry, University of Exeter, U.K. (1971–1974)
Dr. John M. Williams holds B.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees from the University of Exeter (1974, 1979) where his doctorate was awarded for phase equilibrium studies of high pressure systems. He subsequently gained more than 20 years of oil industry experience with Shell, the Schlumberger Group, Saudi Aramco, and in operating his own consulting company Science Support Services. Dr. Williams has led R&D projects involving sampling, PVT, and analytical techniques, and has written both patent and research publications.
He has set up and managed commercial PVT operations and has gained field experience in many countries. Dr. Williams was largely responsible for the recent API RP-44 sampling procedures industry standard, and has written a chapter on the same subject for the SPE Petroleum Engineering Handbook.
At the PI, Dr. Williams has created and taught numerous new engineering courses, started the PI SPE Student Chapter, chaired the PI’s HSE committee and assisted with PE program accreditation activities.
His research interests involve the use of new sampling methodologies, the enhancement of laboratory data quality and applicability to field needs, and petroleum engineering pedagogy.
|2003 – Present
Department of Petroleum Engineering
The Petroleum Institute, Abu Dhabi, U.A.E.
|2000 – 2003
||Reservoir Phase Behaviour Specialist
Saudi Aramco, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
|1993 - 2000
||PVT & Sampling Consultant
Science Support Services, St.Galmier, France
|1990 - 1992
||Field Support Engineer
Etudes et Fabrications Dowell Schlumberger, St-Etienne, France
|1986 - 1989
Anadrill Schlumberger, Sugar Land, Texas, USA
|1984 - 1986
||PVT District Manager
Flopetrol Johnston, New Iberia, Louisiana, USA
|1981 - 1984
||PVT Development Engineer
Etudes et Fabrications Flopetrol, Melun, France
|1978 - 1981
Shell Research Ltd., Thornton, near Chester, U.K.
- Use of new sampling methodologies
- Enhancement of laboratory data quality and applicability to field needs
- Petroleum engineering pedagogy.
Articles in Refereed Journals
- Apparatus for studying phase equilibria. Phase equilibria of carbon dioxide + 2,2-dimethylpropane. J. Chem. Thermodynamics, 1980, 12, 265-275.
- Prediction of phase equilibria using the Redlich-Kwong equation of state. J.C.S. Faraday II, 1980, 76, 1045-1049.
- Determination of the molar mass of petroleum distillation residues using gel permeation chromatography. Journal of Chromatography, 312 (1984) 261-272.
- Equations determine locus of PVT curves. Oil and Gas Journal, October 21, 1985, 79-83
- Getting the best out of fluid samples. J. Petroleum Technology, September 1994, 752.
- Fluid Sampling under adverse conditions. Revue de l'Institut Français du Pétrole, Vol. 53, No. 3, May-June 1998, 355-365.
- New system provides continuous quantitative analysis of gas concentration in the mud during drilling. SPE Drilling Engineering, September 1991, 219-224
- What's New in Reservoir Fluid Sampling, Well Test Analyst, Saudi Aramco Well Testing Unit, Vol. 4, Issue 1, March 2003.
- Getting Reliable On-Site H2S and CO2 Concentrations for Anti-Corrosion Measures in Gas Wells, Saudi Aramco Journal of Technology, Summer 2003, 16-26.
- Sampling Petroleum Reservoir Fluids. Recommended Practice 44, 2nd Edition, American Petroleum Institute, April 2003. (Principal editor for RP-44 sub-committee)
- Fluid Sampling, Chapter 4, Volume I General Engineering, Petroleum Engineering Handbook, Society of Petroleum Engineers, 2006, ISBN 978-1-55563-108-6.
Articles in Refereed Conference Proceedings
- New system provides continuous quantitative analysis of gas concentration in the mud during drilling. SPE Drilling Engineering, September 1991, 219-224. Presented at the 1989 SPE Fall Meeting in San Antonio, Tx.
- Identifying and Meeting the Key Needs for Reservoir Fluid Properties - A Multi-Disciplinary Approach. SPE 49067, 315-330. Prepared for presentation at the 1998 SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition held in New Orleans, Louisiana, 27–30 September 1998.
- Dedicated HSE Education for Undergraduate Petroleum Engineers, SPE 98691, paper presented at the SPE International Conference on Health, Safety, and Environment in Oil and Gas Exploration and Production held in Abu Dhabi, U.A.E., 2–4 April 2006.
- Preparing for the Crew Change - Gearing Up Women To Spud In, SPE-135276, paper presented at the SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition held in Florence, Italy, 19–22 September 2010.
- University accreditation requirements could create positive opportunities for alumni organizations and professional societies, SPE 145730, prepared for presentation at the SPE Asia Pacific Oil and Gas Conference and Exhibition, Jakarta Indonesia, 20-22 September 2011.
- Drilling into Diversity: Developing the Reservoir of Talent, SPE 145195, prepared for presentation at the SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition held in Denver, Colorado, USA, 30 October–2 November 2011.
- Why Y? SPE 146394 prepared for presentation at the SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition held in Denver, Colorado, USA, 30 October–2 November 2011.
Invited Seminars & Conference Presentations / Posters
- PVT measurements on gas condensate fluids. Paper presented at the North Sea Condensate Reservoirs & their Development conference. London Press Centre. May 24th, 1983.
- Getting Reliable On-Site H2S and CO2 Concentrations for Anti-Corrosion Measures in Gas Wells, SPE 81495, Poster presented at the Middle East Oil Show, Bahrain 9-12 June 2003.
- A Contribution to the Geochemical Aspects of Natural Gases in the Western Desert of Egypt: Evaluation of Carbon Dioxide Content, Technology of Oil Gas 2004 Forum & Exhibition, Tripoli, Libya, 28-30 June 2004
- Facilitating Access to and Use of Laboratory Data through Information Technology, 6th International Conference & Exhibition on Chemistry In Industry, Manama, Bahrain, 27-29 September 2004.
- Gas Reservoir Fluid Characterisation Challenges, Poster presented at the Gas Development Challenges SPE Applied Technology Workshop, Dubai, United Arab Emirates, 22-25 May 2005.
- Measurement system and method for quantitatively determining the concentrations of a plurality of gases in drilling mud. United States Patent N° 4,887,464. Dec. 19, 1989 (with other group members).
- Configuration de fonds de puits pétrolier pour échantillonnage de fond (Downhole sampling configuration). French patent N°. FR 2 741 664. 30th May 1997.
CURRENT RESEARCH FELLOWS AND GRADUATE STUDENTS
||Mr. Lulu Liu
||Ms. Fatmah Yammahi
HONORS & AWARDS
- PI Senior Faculty Teaching Award granted in May 2014
- PI 10-Year Service Award presented in May 2014
- PI Student Advising Award in June 2011
- 2010 SPE Middle East Regional Technical Award – Health, Safety, Security, Environment and Social Responsibility
- PI Safety Award in June 2005